A Family Adventure in Burbank
Lights, camera, action! Welcome to Burbank, the media capital of the world. Burbank is home to some of the most well-known studios and production companies in the nation, including NBC, Warner Bros. and Disney. There’s so much to do and see in sunny Burbank, but if you’d like to explore more of sunny SoCal, the city is just a short drive from Hollywood and Los Angeles.
Like many California communities, Burbank began as a Mexican Rancho. But in 1867, a dentist named Dr. David Burbank came out west and bought a large tract of land. With a forward-thinking attitude, he made some astute choices, such as selling right-of-way to the Southern Pacific Railroad and selling off his property to land speculators. This allowed a huge influx of people to take up residence, and the town of Burbank was born.
As Hollywood and Los Angeles became overrun, the movie picture business moved into Burbank in the 1920s because it had more space for movie lots. Warner Bros., Columbia Pictures and Disney all had movie studios here. In fact, in 1927, the first talking picture, “The Jazz Singer,” was produced at Warner Bros.’ Burbank studio.
After you and your family fly into the Hollywood Burbank Airport, take a trip through the history of film at one of the city’s studio tours or view a live TV show filming. Sightsee throughout Burbank’s four neighborhoods — Media District, Magnolia Park, Downtown Burbank and Airport District. And take advantage of the world-class shopping found here. You will love your stay as you explore southern California.
Hotels You’ll Love in Burbank
Burbank is filled with exciting attractions you won’t want to miss. You can also use the city as your launching pad to travel to nearby Hollywood or Los Angeles. The hotels here are comfortable and equipped with deluxe amenities. Take advantage of the warm Burbank weather by taking a dip in the outdoor pool, or rest up and prepare for another day’s adventure. Each hotel features free wi-fi, plush beds, beautiful décor and clean surroundings. While in Burbank, plan to stay at one of these fantastic accommodations:
- Burbank Inn & Suites
- The Coast Anabelle Hotel
- Courtyard Los Angeles Burbank Airport
- Hampton Inn & Suites Los Angeles Burbank Airport
- Holiday Inn Burbank-Media Center
- Los Angeles Marriott Burbank Airport
- Portofino Inn Burbank
- Residence Inn Los Angeles Burbank/Downtown
- Safari Inn
- SpringHill Suites Los Angeles Burbank/Downtown
- The Tangerine Hotel
Exciting Things to Do in Burbank
- Studio Tours: There are many well-known movie and TV studios in Burbank. Nickelodeon and Disney don’t open their Burbank studios to the public — however, if you want to get a glimpse into the magic of the cinema and get behind-the-scenes info about your favorite movies, be sure to book the Paramount Studio Tour, Universal Studios: The World-Famous Studio Tour or the Warner Bros Studio Tour Hollywood.
- Live T.V. Show Taping: Many popular television shows have been filmed right here in Burbank, from “Friends” to “E.R.” How would you like to see a live taping while you’re in town? Be sure to book your tickets well in advance for one of the following shows:
- Shop Burbank: Burbank is well known as a shopper’s mecca. Department stores, one-of-a-kind boutiques and unique vintage shops can all be found at one of these popular shopping areas:
- Local Museums: Even though most people come to Burbank to experience the entertainment industry, be sure to broaden your horizons during your visit. The city is home to fascinating museums:
Eating Out With the Family in Burbank
- Bob’s Big Boy: The sign for Bob’s Big Boy is a Burbank landmark. Since 1949, Bob’s has been serving up California coffee shop diner fare. Be sure to get your mouth watering hamburger with a side of chili cheese fries or Bob’s famous onion rings. Many favorite movies have been filmed at Bob’s — maybe that’s because well-known architect Wayne McAllister designed the restaurant. Even the Beatles made a stop here while touring in 1965.
- Santoro’s Submarine Sandwiches: Santoro’s has been selling sandwiches since meatball subs cost 60 cents. In 1956, this little shop opened its doors, and it’s been popular with sandwich lovers ever since, continually voted best subs in Los Angeles County. You’ll never feel cheated at Santoro’s as each sandwich is stacked high with the freshest meat. The most beloved menu item is their famous pastrami, which is juicy, smoky and packed with flavor.
- Yalla Mediterranean: Here in California, we think about healthy lifestyles and a healthy world. Yalla Mediterranean combines these into a flavorful dining experience. Sourcing from local, SoCal farms, we provide the freshest meats, veggies and herbs straight to your table.
Each meal is prepared to order, and every dietary concern is considered. We have menu items for vegan and gluten-free patrons, which are well-marked on the menu. Eco-friendly practices are used whenever possible, from the compostable utensils and to-go cartons to the reclaimed wood used in our décor.
Be sure to order our famous house-made frozen yogurt sprinkled with the best baklava you’ve ever had. You can get this and your whole meal to go. Just order online and designate a pickup time. If your Burbank adventures have left you worn-out, get your meal delivered to your hotel room with DoorDash.
Tons of Events in Burbank
There’s always something going down in Burbank. From incredible art exhibitions to film showcases to wine and beer festivals. No matter when you plan your trip, there’s most likely a community event happening that weekend. For more information on the exciting “goings-on” in Burbank, check out this events page.